Happy Monday! Who is ready for a house update??
Of all the things I have done to my new house, my built-in bookshelves are by far my favorite addition. My living room and dining room are one big room and I really wanted to try and separate the living space from the dining space. I also felt like the fireplace looked very lonely on a wall by itself. The bookshelves have added so much character and charm to the house.
Getting a mantle built is my next project…
Now, back to my shelves. Built-in book shelves are wonderful, but then you also have to have things to put on them. What is a girl to do when she needs a little inspiration?? Pinterest of course. I found some great tips from websites and other bloggers on styling bookshelves. Here are a few of my favorites
Love everything about this house
Love the color coordination of the books on these shelves
Love the blue and white jars!
Some tips I picked up along the way:
1. Stack books both vertically and horizontally. This creates a different dimension on the shelf and also takes up more room incase you don’t have a ton of books.
2. Go to Goodwill and get old books. I went and bought about 20 books for a dollar or 50 cents a piece. Some were good finds and others I just took the covers off so they looked pretty.
3. Don’t be afraid to add bowls, picture frames, etc.
4. Stacking books by color create a much more dramatic look but also brings color to a room.
5. Paint or use wallpaper on the back of shelves to bring out color in a room. (this is on my list of projects as well)
My couch arrived yesterday and things are starting to feel like they are coming together! More to come 🙂